Sunday, May 29, 2011

Search it the right way: choose the timeline

There are so many tips around on the web on how to make your searches efficient. Here is one I would like to share (may be a reiteration) 

I was looking for a software. So I put this string in my favorite Google, 'mount iso virtual CD'. As usual I got many results. Google always boasts about its efficiency 'About 1,870,000 results (0.13 seconds) ' :) But while going through the results I observed the links to be old 2008, 2007, .. I was wondering if no one wrote a new tool for this after that time??? Then it strike to my mind that probably the old pages are ranked more than the new pages and later with more usages the new pages will come up in the result. Remember search engines primarily do it by ranking and not by creation. So I clicked on Advanced Search and I was happy to locate what I was looking for 'Date, usage rights, numeric range, and more'. Out of the options available for 'Date' I selected 'past year' and weehoo!!!! I got the latest results :)


So the takeaway is, Advance to Advanced Search! The content on the web is huge and you should get wiser.


I know many of you would know this but it is always good to share for others!

No comments: